Here’s what interpreting equipment looked like back in the 1930s!
The caption from IBM at 100 ,
“In 1931, the IBM-Filene-Finlay translator was permanently installed at the League of Nations in Geneva. There, some speeches were pre-translated and read simultaneously, while others were presented in the native language first, while interpreters took notes. Then one interpreter would give the speech in his own language, while the others simultaneously recited the speech in their languages. The system was modified during the Nuremberg war crime trials of 1946, for true simultaneous interpretation—speakers had to speak slowly, allowing all of the interpreters to speak along with them.”